Examinations and graded assessments have been a crucial part of the school curriculum for years. A negative connotation is associated with examinations, with students being reluctant to attempt them. However, several studies at the current time reveal that students are much more comfortable and eager to participate in online assessments. Not only the level of participation but the students’ results have significantly increased.
The ever-increasing status of online exams is only because of the change in time and situation in the past few years. It was the pandemic of 2019 that brought about a need for change in the educational system. Educational institutions adopted online classes and exams with the norms of social distancing enforced and physical classes being shut. However, the importance of online exams in the current scenario is partly because of the significance of the mode of assessment.
Benefits of online exams
The advancement in technology makes online examination a flexible way of assessing the performance of students and learners. The purpose of the online examination remains the same as the offline examination. However, the impact of the online examination system on the student’s performance has been positive due to its numerous advantages.
• Environmentally Friendly- Paper and pen examinations require a lot of examination sheets. Opting for pen-and-paper examinations results in waste brought on by printing mistakes, an overestimation of the number of students, or the environmental impact of the logistics involved in delivering the papers to and from the testing sites. Hence, online assessments facilitate waste reduction and are an environmentally friendly option.
• Reduced Costs- The cost of conducting an online examination is lower than that of an offline assessment. The reason for reduced fees is that examinations are conducted using technology. It is most beneficial when the same test is to be conducted across various places at the same time. For example, most entrance exams for admission to higher education are conducted online.
• Added Security- These online examinations are conducted remotely by students giving the test from a considerable distance from campus premises. Even though the students are giving the assessments from a distance, the advancement in network security keeps track of the children while they are giving their exams. Protection is added with cameras, and microphones switched during the examination session. Along with that, to keep students from catching teachers cheating, the educational establishment needs remote proctoring technology.
• Fair Assessments- The online evaluation makes available quick and concise information on candidate results and progress. Because of this, providing candidates with informed feedback about their performance, strengths, and knowledge gaps is made simpler. Along with a quick and precise assessment, the online evaluation removes any probability of a personal bias of a teacher.
• Added Security- These online examinations are conducted remotely by students giving the test from a considerable distance from campus premises. Even though the students are giving the assessments from a distance, the advancement in network security keeps track of the children while they are giving their exams.
• Flexibility- One of the most significant benefits of the online examination is its flexibility. With an online exam, all the activities before exams, such as admit card development, can be facilitated easily online. Its flexibility is demonstrated by the fact that students can use online test systems whenever and wherever they want, regardless of time or location.
Online exams, most importantly, improve a student’s performance in the assessment of their learning. The online exam ensures that more time is spent on actually learning and studying rather than juggling between the complexities of the pen-and-paper examinations. Moreover, online exams reduce the stress on the students about traditional exams and their high-pressure framework.
The alternative online exams help in the better assessment of the learning outcomes. With these benefits of online examination, such as its ease, flexibility, and overall improvement, online examinations will soon acquire more importance than pen-and-paper graded assessments.
Additionally, as the coronavirus epidemic spread in the past, an increasing number of enterprises also started using the online assessment method. The online examination system has extensive use. It can be used in various settings, including schools, colleges, tutoring facilities, and private tutors. With online exams gaining so much importance, there is a scope for improvement in the mode of the examination. There is no denying that the online testing system needs improvement in the coming times.
If you would like to learn more about an online examination service that provides a locked-down application then visit EDExams. The platform has live invigilation and mitigates malpractice to the highest degree. You can book a free online demonstration here or call the team on 01909 384090 for more information.