Online exams have become increasingly popular in recent years, as they offer a number of advantages over traditional in-person exams. They are more convenient for students, as they can be taken from anywhere with an internet connection. They are also more efficient for instructors, as they can be graded automatically. However, online exams can also be more prone to technical problems.
Here are some of the most common problems that students encounter when taking online exams, and how to troubleshoot them:
The most common problem that students encounter when taking an online exam is a poor or unreliable internet connection. This can lead to slow loading times, disconnections, and other issues.
To avoid network problems, it is important to choose a reliable internet connection before starting your exam. If you are using Wi-Fi, try to connect to a network that is not being used by other devices. If possible, connect to your router using an Ethernet cable.
If you do experience network problems during your exam, there are a few things you can try:
• Restart your modem and router.
• Move closer to your router.
• Connect to a different Wi-Fi network, if available.
• Use a VPN program to encrypt your traffic and improve your connection.
If none of these solutions work, contact your IT support team or instructor for assistance.
Time management struggles
Another common problem with online exams is time management. It can be difficult to stay on track and complete the exam on time, especially if you are not used to taking online exams.
To help manage your time better during an online exam, try the following
• Create an organised plan. Before you start the exam, take a few minutes to create a plan for how you are going to tackle it. This should include setting time limits for yourself for each section or question.
• Take breaks. It is important to take breaks during online exams to avoid getting overwhelmed. Get up and move around, or take a few minutes to clear your head.
• Have all of your resources ready. Make sure you have all of the resources you need for the exam readily available, such as textbooks, notes, and a calculator. This way, you won’t waste time trying to locate them during the exam itself.
Another common problem with online exams is technical difficulties with the exam platform itself. This could include problems such as the exam not loading properly, questions not displaying correctly, or the exam being interrupted or terminated unexpectedly.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the exam platform, the first thing you should do is try to refresh the page or restart your browser. If this does not resolve the problem, you should contact the instructor or exam administrator for assistance.
Use a trusted online examination platform
EDExams is a locked-down application examination platform that provides live invigilation helping mitigate any malpractice.
The online system is secure and easy to navigate and the customer service team can take control of your screen if any troubleshooting occurs when taking your exam.